It is important for your classroom to feel secure. Students need to feel free to take risks and explore new ideas.
Here are a few ways to make your classroom a positive, risk-free learning environment:
- Use wait time to give students a chance to think.
- Prompt and encourage responses and ideas.
- Respond appropriately and consistently – never use a “put down” for an incorrect response
- Enjoy the lessons and encourage students to take joy in learning (laugh).
- Give lots of positive feedback.
- Encourage students to give each other feedback.
- Create safe opportunities for students to give each other constructive feedback.
- Design activities so that the students are talking with and responding to each other, not just to you.